Ford recalls nearly 52,000 big pickups, SUVs in Canada for transmission glitch, rollaway risk
DETROIT -- Ford Motor Co. on Friday issued a recall for 2018 model year F-150 pickups and Expedition SUVs with 10-speed automatic transmissions for a potentially unseated transmission gear shift cable clip. The recall also covers 2018 model year F-650 and F-750 pickups with six-speed automatic transmissions. About 347,000 vehicles are affected, of which 51,742 are in Canada.
In the affected vehicles, a clip that locks the gear shift cable to the transmission may not be fully seated. That could allow the transmission to be in a different gear from the one selected by the driver.
In some instances that could mean the vehicle may not be in park even when the driver shifts to park and turns off the ignition, which could cause unintended vehicle movement. There would not be any warning chimes or messages, since the shifter would be in the proper position.
Ford said it's aware of one reported accident and injury involving the issue.
Here's where the affected vehicles were made.
- 2018 Ford F-150 pickups built at Dearborn Assembly Plant, Jan. 5, 2017 to Feb. 16, 2018.
- 2018 Ford F-150 pickups built at Kansas City Assembly Plant, Jan. 25, 2017 to Feb. 16, 2018.
- 2018 Ford Expedition SUVs built at Kentucky Truck Plant, April 3, 2017 to Jan. 30, 2018.
- 2018 Ford F-650 and F-750 pickups built at Ohio Assembly Plant, April 25, 2017 to March 9, 2018.
Ford on Friday also issued a recall for about 161 2017-18 model year F-150 pickups, 2018 Expedition SUVs, 2018 Lincoln Navigator SUVs and 2018 Mustang cars with 10R80 transmissions for a potentially missing roll pin that attaches the park pawl rod guide cup to the transmission case. Eighteen of the affected vehicles are in Canada.
The issue could lead to the vehicles eventually losing their park function even when the shifter and instrument panel display indicate the vehicle is in park, leading to unintended movement without any warnings.
Here's where the affected vehicles were made:
- 2017-18 F-150 pickups built at Dearborn Assembly Plant, Oct. 20, 2016 to March 5, 2018.
- 2017-18 F-150 pickups built at Kansas City Assembly Plant, Dec. 22, 2017 to Feb. 26, 2018.
- 2018 Expedition SUVs built at Kentucky Truck Plant, Nov. 28, 2017 to Feb. 14, 2018.
- 2018 Mustang vehicles built at Flat Rock Assembly Plant, Nov. 6, 2017 to Feb. 12, 2018.
- 2018 Lincoln Navigator SUVs built at Kentucky Truck Plant, Dec. 13, 2017 to March 8, 2018.